Web, Mobile, Desktop (Cross-Platform)
The client's Challenges and Goals
- In 2016 Solvd was approached by TriPointLab for designing and implementing a highly complex project.
- They were looking for an innovative partner to create a VR/AR-enabled learning management platform. The platform was expected to become an educational system to be used actively in the future training of surgeons. It had to provide a fully immersive real-time VR/AR learning process that allows instructors to lead a group of students on-site or remotely; regardless which device they were using.
- Since the platform was required to work in the virtual space for multiple users simultaneously, it needed to have complex network logic. Also, the subject field required medically accurate 3D modeling, largely based on real human data.
- Engagement Model
- Learning Management System Development
- VR LMS
- 3D Modeling
- 5 engineers (including a VR specialist with a medical background)
- 1 3D artist
- 1 project manager
- 2 designers
Solution & Results
We had to take some risks to build the solution by utilizing a new industry-leading technology stack, but it paid off with both cost-savings and increased feature capabilities.Besides general AR/VR technologies, we also implemented an AI-based computer vision for object detection on the live video in order to identify which students participated in practicing surgery the most.
Solvd built a product all the way from TriPointLab’s initial idea to a tangible enterprise solution. Pushed by deadlines and dedicated to the Apple ARKit release, our team worked efficiently and effectively, delivering portions of the working product to dynamically adapt to our client’s vision and requirements. TriPointLab received a final product that met all of the requirements that were specified in their initial vision. Our resulting solution contains:
- VR clients for desktop (Oculus Rift) and mobile (iOS, Android)
- Mobile AR clients (iOS, Android)
- Kiosk – an app for exhibitions and museums (3D desktop / VR desktop)
- A solution for recognizing activities performed in a surgery practice room
- Real-time and mobile user analytics integration
- Setup and integration for ad providers
- 360-degree test automation: mobile, web, API, localization, fitness gear integration
Examples of system components
Kiosk application – exhibited at The Tech Museum of Innovation with a 10-year contract
AR application for students so they can preview all the elements available for the lecture
Full 3D anatomy models for students teaching