How Solvd Provided Quality Assurance Services for a Fintech Giant
NerdWallet is a company that provides financial information and advice that empowers individuals to help make informed and intelligent financial decisions. Founded in 2009, Nerdwallet offers a plethora of resources that include personal finance content, expert advice, and tools. Moreover, the company provides various services such as credit card comparisons, mortgage refinancing, investing advice, and more.
NerdWallet is known for its unwavering commitment to helping individuals attain financial prosperity and they’ve earned a reputation as a reliable and trustworthy source for financial information and guidance.
Visit the website
Solvd Inc is involved in all QA tasks that we do across the board. Their team brought in tools and information frameworks they had already established in order to manage similar systems. They are the main execution drivers on all of our regression testing and on all of our development projects as well.
The Client’s Challenges and Goals
- Build a QA department
The client wanted to start a dedicated QA department from the ground up in order to ensure the quality of their products.
- Provide an infrastructure for Test Automation needs
The client needed a reliable and more efficient infrastructure to support their Test Automation efforts that allow for more accurate and quicker testing of their web and mobile applications.
- Set up Quality Assurance and Test Automation processes
To ensure the consistent quality and reliable testing of their products, the client desired well-defined Quality Assurance and Test Automation processes that could be implemented throughout their organization.
- Reduce the time currently spent on manual testing
By automating their tests, the client sought to reduce the manual efforts of their team, repurposing the time spent on manual testing to more high-level tasks while still maintaining the quality of their products.
- Ensure the stability of their existing functionality
The client aimed to ensure the stability of their existing functionality throughout the process, meeting all internal standards while continuing to improve and innovate their products.
Ongoing since 2017
36 QA Engineers
How we Solved these problems…
- We followed strict security protocols
We used a separate Wi-Fi network with a white-list of IP addresses (a common practice in Fintech apps), to meet the special security requirements.
- We simulated the third-party interactions
Solvd’s engineers developed Yutil, a tool that supports JSONs. This allowed us to accurately simulate the third-party interactions and changes associated with bank accounts, credit scores, and cashback cards without affecting the level of production.
- We developed a private mobile cloud
We decided to build a private mobile cloud using Solvd’s MCloud solution. The cloud consisted of real devices, including 36 iOS and 38 Android devices dedicated solely to the Nerdwallet project. Our engineers provided full support for the cloud, including simultaneous support for 14, 15, 16 iOS and 9-13 Android versions. We also developed special scripts that were tested rigorously to ensure stability and optimal functionality.
- We applied multithreading and supported test case updating
By applying multithreading and supporting regular test case updating, we achieved an impressive everyday capacity: 720 deep links for Android/iOS, 1000 unique tests for mobile, and 700 DataProvider tests. These efforts allowed us to provide exceptional support to our clients and deliver a reliable and high-quality product.
Technologies and Tools
Solvd provided the following Quality Assurance Services
- Contributed with expertise and support to all of the project’s development and regression testing
- Implemented established tools and information frameworks for the project, ensuring that NerdWallet had access to the best resources available
- Built an entirely new custom infrastructure from the ground up, providing a tailored solution that met NerdWallet’s unique needs
- Cut costs while delivering superior results compared to our competitors (thanks to providing an optimal amount of dedicated devices with full private cloud support)
- Successfully transformed the QA culture of the company, introducing new ideas and approaches that led to superior outcomes
95% of test cases were automated, resulting in significant time and cost savings
Solvd’s engineers achieved 90% regression coverage and a very high pass rate (approximately 98% for web and 90% for mobile), ensuring that NerdWallet’s products were of the highest quality
Sign-up statistics improved to virtually 100% (99.9%) thanks to improvements in the QA framework
Impressive everyday capacity
- Android / iOS - 720 deep links
- 1000 unique tests
- 700 - DataProvider tests
Our collaboration with Nerdwallet was a true pleasure from start to finish.
The creativity, passion, and expertise that have been brought to the table were very inspiring, and I believe that this has pushed us to reach new heights
Head of Account Management